The first settler in Milford Township arrived in 1866 and a large number of homesteaders arrived three years later. On Dec. 2, 1891, a petition signed by 58 residents was filed at the Clerk of District Court’s office. It called for a special election to organize a municipal corporation to be known as Milford. The city of Milford was incorporated with a vote on Jan. 11, 1892. The first meeting of the town council was held on March 14 of that year.
Milford’s population continues to see steady growth. Residents and guests enjoy numerous city parks (Buchanan, Calkins, Florence, and Memorial), great community facilities, a high-quality school system. The proud home of the Okoboji Pioneers is a public power community, proudly served by the Milford Municipal Utility (MMU) System. MMU is proud to be serving our citizens reasonable and reliable service since 1909.